The purpose of these grants is to provide funding to faculties for prioritised pieces of medium size (R50 000 to R500 000) computer related hardware and software.
Should you wish to apply for large computer equipment (>R500,000), please submit to ACC as part of this call, considering the following:
These applications must be part of a coordinated effort with one or more of the following - e-Research, Data Institute and ICTS.
Applications directed to the NRF NEP application mechanism, please contact Natalie le Roux at the UCT Research Office to ensure that the application deals explicitly with the NRF requirements
The Advanced Computing Committee (ACC) considers applications from Faculties for strategic research related computer equipment and software items that are not covered in the conventional way by Faculty Equipment IT Committees.
UCT researchers are eligible to apply if they are:
· Permanent academic staff; or
· Joint PGWC/UCT academic staff in Health Sciences on UCT Conditions of Service (excluding registrars), or
· T2 contract staff on academic conditions T2, with a co-applicant from one of the above categories
Honorary Research Associates; Emeritus Professors; Emeritus Associate Professors; Honorary Professors; Honorary Associate Professors and Senior Research Scholars are NOT eligible to apply. Those who wish to have access to new computer equipment and software must form part of research groupings and may not be the Principal Applicant.
· The application form accompanied by recent quotes must provide details on the projected lifetimes and motivations for each item. These motivations must show that the appropriate infrastructural support for the functioning of each item has been investigated.
· The applicant must ensure that the complete and correctly endorsed application reaches the relevant faculty committee, as listed in table 1, by the deadline date of 8th March 2019. Please submit your application via email or in hardcopy to your relevant faculty committee (see Table 1 above for details).
· The relevant faculty committee prioritises the requests and submits the applications to the ACC via the Research Office. Faculty representatives may post hardcopies to Research Support Services, Research Office, 2 Rhodes Avenue, Mowbray or e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· The Research Office will not accept late or retrospective applications as well as ad hoc applications.
· Applicants must be able to show that they have tried to get funding elsewhere, i.e. demonstrated fundraising effort is important. If part of the funding is going to be solicited from outside bodies, it is mandatory that a donor prospect clearance be obtained from the Development Office before approaching the ACC.
· The Advanced Computing Committee will not be responsible for currency differences caused by delays in purchasing equipment.
· In the event that there is a saving due to currency differences, excess funds must be returned to the ACC.
· Copies of the invoices of the final amounts must be submitted to the Research Office.
· A report on the expenditure of this equipment award is required to be submitted to the ACC in November 2019.
Applications to reach the Advanced Computing Committee Representative: 8th March 2019
Relevant Faculty IT committee representatives to submit applications to the Research Office for ACC review: 30th March 2019
Funding outcome to Advanced Computing Committee Representatives: 12th April 2019